Helping You Choose A Preschool
What Should You Look for When Choosing a Quality Preschool?
Once your child is ready for preschool, you need to find a good preschool programme that suits you and your child’s needs .
We understand that you want to be certain you have made the best choice for your child. At Odyssey, you will find a welcoming, experientially-rich, stimulating and safe environment for your child.
Ten things to look for when you visit any childcare centre:
- The centre director, teachers and staff you meet in the centre listen and care
- The curriculum and philosophy appeal to you and you are comfortable with them
- The teachers have a passion for what they do, and they receive comprehensive professional development
- The centre offers a research-based programme/curriculum that fosters confidence, self-esteem and a love of learning
- The outdoor play areas and classrooms are safe, and the entrance and building(s) are clean and secure
- You receive daily communication, either verbal or written, about your child's activities
- You are encouraged to drop in at any time to see your child
- The teachers meet with you on a regular basis to share your child's progress with you
- When you ask for references from other parents, they are readily provided
- The centre involves parents as partners in the children's learning, and encourages active parental support
Below are some questions to ask yourself about your overall experiences when you visit other childcare centres:
- Did you feel comfortable with the people who will take care of your child?
- Did you feel that your needs were understood and respected?
- Did you feel that the centre director and/or teachers listened to you and answered your questions effectively?
- Did you feel that the teachers would partner with you in developing your child's potential?
- Did the centre staff and teachers convey warmth and a sincere interest in you and your child?
- Do the curriculum and philosophy meet your early childhood beliefs?
Download preschool checklist